Home / Things I've learned this week
Things I’ve learned this week:
- using pt instead of px for CSS font-size property is a good way to have text that looks good on monitors with different DPIs. 8pt is a good value for small text
- therefore shorthand notations are good. I started writing it html and it was painful. I improved things by writing small python script that generates html from a more compact text format
- etherpad was open-sourced but pretty much abandoned by (now) google folks. There is an active project that continues the work
overflow: auto;in a div makes it scrollable (instead, for example, overflowing it)
- HTML5: canvas element has
toDataURL()which returns PNG of itself. Can be used to add a way to easily export canvas data for external consumption e.g.
window.location = canvasEl.toDataURL()will navigate to a page that is the PNG file (which can then be save to disk or printed using browser’s context menu). More sophisticated solution could dynamically add PNG to current page
- Tornado is a decent python web server framework
Go to index of articles.